Renowned for its monumental architecture and natural beauty, Central Java was the cornerstone of Indonesia’s great artistic developments in dance, music, painting, silverwork and weaving. For those seeking the roots of Indonesian culture, Amanjiwo’s Cultural Trails offers three complimentary activities per stay to experience Central Java’s fascinating legacy.
Amanjiwo sits in the very heart of Java and looks out over the spectacular 9th-century Buddhist sanctuary of Borobudur. A wonder in itself, the resort is a sweeping circle of limestone set against the Menoreh Hills. This extraordinary location fosters exploration of the surrounding countryside, local villages and the spiritual home of Javanese Buddhism. Discover this intriguing region on foot, by private car, bicycle, horseback or andong, horse-drawn carts used daily by villagers.
Enjoy three complimentary activities from an extensive selection:
- • Hike the rugged limestone Menoreh Hills
- • Ride in an andong through nearby kampungs (villages)
- • Take a guided tour of Borobudur
- • Discover the temples of Kedu Valley
- • Explore local villages on a bicycle and witness traditional craftmanship skills
- • Practice semadi, a silent Javanese meditation in the ancient Mendut temple
- • Conduct a fortune-telling session with a renowned palm-reader
- • Visit the local markets of Muntilan and Borobudur
- • Enjoy a half-day temple tour in Prambanan Valley
- • Sip sunset martinis in Amanjiwo’s rice fields overlooking Borobudur
- • Visit a ‘home restaurant’ for classic warung dishes prepared over a charcoal fire
- • Enjoy a Amanjiwo feast of makan malam - traditional Javanese dishes