Renowned for its monumental architecture and natural beauty, Central Java was the cornerstone of Indonesia’s great artistic developments in dance, music, painting, silverwork and weaving. For those seeking the roots of Indonesian culture, Amanjiwo’s Cultural Trails offers three complimentary activities per stay.
Amanjiwo overlooks 9th-century Borobudur, the world’s largest Buddhist sanctuary, in the rural heartland of Central Java. Located in one of the most scenic parts of the country, the resort rests within a natural amphitheatre; the Menoreh Hills rise up behind and four volcanoes grace the horizon. Amanjiwo provides the opportunity for immersion in Javanese culture. Discover this intriguing region on foot, by private car, bicycle, horseback or andong, horse-drawn carts used daily by villagers.
Enjoy three complimentary activities from an extensive selection:
- • Hike the rugged limestone Menoreh Hills
- • Ride in an andong through nearby kampungs (villages)
- • Take a guided tour of Borobudur
- • Discover the temples of Kedu Valley
- • Explore local villages on a bicycle and witness traditional craftmanship skills
- • Practise semadi, a silent Javanese meditation in the ancient Mendut monastery
- • Conduct a fortune-telling session with a renowned palm-reader
- • Visit the local markets of Muntilan and Borobudur
- • Enjoy a half-day temple tour in Prambanan Valley
- • Sip sunset martinis in Amanjiwo’s rice fields overlooking Borobudur
- • Visit a local street side warung for an authentic Javanese meal amongst the local community
- • Enjoy a Amanjiwo feast of makan malam - traditional Javanese dishes